What do Securities and Commodities Traders do?
Buy and sell securities and commodities to transfer debt, capital, or risk. Establish and negotiate unit prices and terms of sale.
- Agree on buying or selling prices at optimal levels for clients.
- Buy or sell stocks, bonds, commodity futures, foreign currencies, or other securities at stock exchanges on behalf of investment dealers.
- Make bids or offers to buy or sell securities.
- Analyze target companies or investment opportunities to inform investment decisions.
- Develop or maintain supplier or customer relationships.
- Devise trading, option, or hedge strategies.
- Identify opportunities or develop channels for purchase or sale of securities or commodities.
- Inform other traders, managers, or customers of market conditions, including volume, price, competition, or dynamics.
- Monitor markets or positions.
- Process paperwork for special orders, including margin or option purchases.
- Receive sales order tickets and inspect forms to determine accuracy of information.
- Report all positions or trading results.
- Review securities transactions to ensure conformance to regulations.
- Track and analyze factors that affect price movement, such as trade policies, weather conditions, political developments, or supply and demand changes.
- Write or sign sales order confirmation forms to record or approve security transactions.
- Audit accounts and correct errors.
- Make transportation arrangements for sold or purchased commodities.
- Prepare financial reports, such as reviews of portfolio positions.
- Reconcile account-related statements, such as quarterly or annual statements or confirmations.
- Report deficiencies in account payments, securities deliveries, or documentation requirements to avoid rule violations.
- Supervise support staff and ensure proper execution of contracts.
- Buy, sell, or trade carbon emissions permits.
- Identify or pursue investment strategies related to the green economy, including green hedge funds, renewable energy markets, or clean technology investment opportunities.
Related Jobs (Securities and Commodities Traders)