What do Insurance Sales Agents do?
Sell life, property, casualty, health, automotive, or other types of insurance. May refer clients to independent brokers, work as an independent broker, or be employed by an insurance company.
- Sell various types of insurance policies to businesses and individuals on behalf of insurance companies, including automobile, fire, life, property, medical and dental insurance or specialized policies such as marine, farm/crop, and medical malpractice.
- Interview prospective clients to obtain data about their financial resources and needs, the physical condition of the person or property to be insured, and to discuss any existing coverage.
- Call on policyholders to deliver and explain policy, to analyze insurance program and suggest additions or changes, or to change beneficiaries.
- Seek out new clients and develop clientele by networking to find new customers and generate lists of prospective clients.
- Ensure that policy requirements are fulfilled, including any necessary medical examinations and the completion of appropriate forms.
- Customize insurance programs to suit individual customers, often covering a variety of risks.
- Explain features, advantages and disadvantages of various policies to promote sale of insurance plans.
- Calculate premiums and establish payment method.
- Inspect property, examining its general condition, type of construction, age, and other characteristics, to decide if it is a good insurance risk.
- Perform administrative tasks, such as maintaining records and handling policy renewals.
- Select company that offers type of coverage requested by client to underwrite policy.
- Develop marketing strategies to compete with other individuals or companies who sell insurance.
- Contact underwriter and submit forms to obtain binder coverage.
- Confer with clients to obtain and provide information when claims are made on a policy.
- Monitor insurance claims to ensure they are settled equitably for both the client and the insurer.
- Attend meetings, seminars and programs to learn about new products and services, learn new skills, and receive technical assistance in developing new accounts.
- Plan and oversee incorporation of insurance program into bookkeeping system of company.
- Install bookkeeping systems and resolve system problems.
- Explain necessary bookkeeping requirements for customer to implement and provide group insurance program.
Related Jobs (Insurance Sales Agents)