What do Sales Engineers do?
Sell business goods or services, the selling of which requires a technical background equivalent to a baccalaureate degree in engineering.
- Plan and modify product configurations to meet customer needs.
- Confer with customers and engineers to assess equipment needs and to determine system requirements.
- Collaborate with sales teams to understand customer requirements, to promote the sale of company products, and to provide sales support.
- Secure and renew orders and arrange delivery.
- Develop, present, or respond to proposals for specific customer requirements, including request for proposal responses and industry-specific solutions.
- Sell products requiring extensive technical expertise and support for installation and use, such as material handling equipment, numerical-control machinery, and computer systems.
- Diagnose problems with installed equipment.
- Recommend improved materials or machinery to customers, documenting how such changes will lower costs or increase production.
- Prepare and deliver technical presentations that explain products or services to customers and prospective customers.
- Provide technical and non-technical support and services to clients or other staff members regarding the use, operation, and maintenance of equipment.
- Research and identify potential customers for products or services.
- Visit prospective buyers at commercial, industrial, or other establishments to show samples or catalogs, and to inform them about product pricing, availability, and advantages.
- Create sales or service contracts for products or services.
- Arrange for demonstrations or trial installations of equipment.
- Keep informed on industry news and trends, products, services, competitors, relevant information about legacy, existing, and emerging technologies, and the latest product-line developments.
- Attend company training seminars to become familiar with product lines.
- Provide information needed for the development of custom-made machinery.
- Write technical documentation for products.
- Develop sales plans to introduce products in new markets.
- Identify resale opportunities and support them to achieve sales plans.
- Document account activities, generate reports, and keep records of business transactions with customers and suppliers.
- Train team members in the customer applications of technologies.
- Maintain sales forecasting reports.
- Attend trade shows and seminars to promote products or to learn about industry developments.
- Report to supervisors about prospective firms' credit ratings.
Related Jobs (Sales Engineers)